Are you feeling a bit bored with your home decor? Do you want to add a personal touch to your living space but don’t know where to start? Look no further than these 15 DIY home decor projects. From creating your own custom wall art to revamping your furniture, these projects will help you add style and personality to any room in your house. So grab your tools and let’s get to work!
Please note: As Amazon Associates, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reupholster Your Dining Room Chairs
One of the easiest ways to update the look of your dining room is to reupholster your chairs. This is a great DIY project that requires minimal supplies and can be completed in just a few hours.
To start, remove the old fabric from your chairs. This can be done by using a seam ripper or scissors to carefully cut away the fabric and any staples or tacks holding it in place. Next, choose a new fabric that will complement your dining room décor.
Measure and cut your new fabric, leaving enough excess to wrap around the chair cushion and staple or tack it securely in place. Be sure to smooth out any wrinkles or folds before attaching the new fabric.
Not only will reupholstering your dining room chairs give them a fresh new look, it can also help to extend their lifespan by protecting the cushions from wear and tear. So why not give this easy DIY project a try and see how it can transform your dining space?
Build a Rustic Pallet Coffee Table
Looking for a budget-friendly way to add a new piece of furniture to your living room? A DIY pallet coffee table is the perfect project for you. Not only is it affordable, but it also adds a rustic touch to your decor.
To get started, you’ll need a wooden pallet, sandpaper, screws, a saw, and a drill. Start by sanding down the pallet to remove any rough edges or splinters. Next, saw the pallet in half to create the top of your coffee table.
Then, cut four wooden legs to size and attach them to the bottom of the table using screws and a drill. You can also add additional support with a wooden brace in the center.
Once the table is assembled, you can leave it as is for a natural, rustic look or add a coat of stain or paint to match your decor. Finish it off with a clear sealant to protect the wood.
Your DIY rustic pallet coffee table is complete and ready for use. Add some candles or a vase of flowers to complete the cozy and inviting look.
Make a Statement Mirror
Mirrors are an essential part of any home decor. They not only reflect light, but they also make rooms appear larger. However, why settle for an ordinary, run-of-the-mill mirror when you can make a statement with one? Here are a few ideas to take your mirror game to the next level:
- DIY Frame – Make a plain mirror stand out by framing it yourself. You can use reclaimed wood, pallets, or even cardboard. Just measure your mirror, cut the frame material to size, and attach it with glue, nails, or screws.
- Decals – Want to add some personality to your mirror? Consider applying a vinyl decal. These decals are easy to apply, come in various sizes, shapes, and designs, and can be removed without damaging your mirror.
- Stencil It – Stenciling your mirror is another fun way to make a statement. You can choose any design you like and use stenciling tools and paint to create your masterpiece. Just be sure to use a sealant to protect your artwork from smudging.
- Layered – If you have a smaller mirror, consider layering it with other decorative elements to create a unique display. For instance, you could hang your mirror over a wall-mounted shelf or lean it against the wall on top of a mantel.
- Adornments – Finally, you can add some pizzazz to your mirror by attaching adornments such as shells, beads, or even faux flowers. Just use hot glue to attach them to your mirror’s frame or directly to the mirror itself.
A statement mirror can make all the difference in your home decor. Try out one or more of these DIY ideas and watch as your mirror transforms from boring to beautiful.
Create an Accent Wall
One easy way to elevate your home decor is to create an accent wall. An accent wall can add depth and personality to any room, without having to commit to a complete makeover.
There are endless ways to create an accent wall. You can use bold wallpaper, paint a contrasting color, or even create a mural. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Geometric Shapes: Using painter’s tape, create geometric shapes on your wall. Then paint each shape a different color. This is a fun way to add a pop of color to a room.
- Texture: Adding texture to your accent wall can create a cozy and inviting feel. You can use wood panels, shiplap, or even textured wallpaper.
- Gallery Wall: If you’re an art lover, creating a gallery wall on your accent wall can be a great way to showcase your favorite pieces. Mix and match frames and artwork to create a personalized and eclectic display.
- Chalkboard Wall: A chalkboard accent wall can be a fun addition to a kid’s playroom or a home office. Use chalk to write inspirational quotes or reminders, or let your kids unleash their creativity.
Creating an accent wall can be a simple and affordable DIY project that can transform the look and feel of your home. So, grab your paintbrush and get started on your next home decor project!
Paint Your Front Door
Your front door is the first impression your guests will have of your home, so why not make it a memorable one? Painting your front door can give your home a quick and easy facelift that will instantly add curb appeal. Here’s how to do it:
- Choose Your Color: Pick a color that complements the exterior of your home. If you’re unsure, choose a neutral color like black, white, or gray.
- Clean the Door: Clean the door thoroughly with soap and water and allow it to dry completely.
- Remove Hardware: Remove the hardware from the door, including the handle and knocker. This will make it easier to paint and ensure a clean finish.
- Sand the Door: Lightly sand the door to create a smooth surface for the paint to adhere to.
- Prime the Door: Apply a coat of primer to the door, using a brush or roller. This will ensure that the paint adheres properly and will help the color to last longer.
- Paint the Door: Once the primer has dried, it’s time to paint the door. Use a brush or roller to apply two coats of paint, allowing the first coat to dry before applying the second.
- Reinstall Hardware: Once the paint has dried, reinstall the hardware to the door.
Voila! Your front door now has a fresh new look that will make a great first impression. This project is simple and affordable, but it can have a big impact on your home’s curb appeal. Give it a try and see for yourself!
Hang Curtains Higher
One easy DIY home decor project that can make a big difference in any room is hanging curtains higher. By doing this, you can create the illusion of taller ceilings and make the space feel more grand. Here are the steps to follow for this project:
- Measure the distance from the top of your window frame to the ceiling. This will give you the length of your curtain rod.
- Purchase a new curtain rod that is long enough for your window frame, plus a few extra inches on each side.
- Remove the old curtain rod and hardware from your wall.
- Patch any holes left by the old hardware.
- Install the new curtain rod brackets a few inches higher than the old brackets. Make sure they are level.
- Slide your curtains onto the new rod and hang it on the brackets.
- Adjust the curtains so they fall just above the floor, creating a nice drape.
Not only does this DIY home decor project make a room feel more spacious, but it also adds a touch of elegance to your windows. Plus, by raising the curtains, you allow more natural light to come into the room. This simple project can make a big impact on any room in your house.
Install Crown Molding
If you’re looking for a simple and effective way to add a touch of elegance to your home, installing crown molding is an excellent option. Not only does it give a polished and finished look to any room, but it’s also a relatively easy DIY project.
Before getting started, you’ll want to choose the style and material of the molding you want to use. Crown molding comes in a variety of materials, including wood, MDF, and polyurethane. Each has its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to research the differences before making your final decision.
Once you have your materials, the first step is to measure and mark where the molding will be installed. Use a level to ensure that your marks are straight and even.
Next, use a saw to cut the molding to the appropriate length, taking care to make precise cuts to ensure a perfect fit. You may also need to cut the corners of the molding at a 45-degree angle to allow them to fit together seamlessly.
After the molding is cut to size, use a nail gun or screws to attach it to the wall and ceiling. Be sure to use the appropriate size and type of fastener based on your wall type and material.
Finally, fill any gaps or nail holes with wood filler, sand down any rough edges, and paint or stain the molding to match the surrounding walls and decor.
With just a little effort and attention to detail, you can easily install crown molding and elevate the look and feel of your home.
Add Shelf Brackets
Are your shelves looking a little too bare or do you need more storage space? Adding shelf brackets is an easy and inexpensive way to upgrade your home decor while also increasing functionality.
To start, measure and mark where you want to install your brackets on the wall. Be sure to use a level to make sure everything is straight. Then, use a drill to make pilot holes and secure the brackets into place.
Once your brackets are installed, you can either use pre-made shelves or create your own. Wooden planks or even repurposed materials like old drawers or doors can make for unique and stylish shelving options.
For an added touch, consider painting or staining the brackets and shelves to match the overall look of your space. Or, if you’re feeling extra creative, use stencils or wallpaper to add patterns or designs to your shelves.
Adding shelf brackets is a great way to showcase your personal style while also increasing organization and storage space in your home.
Swap Out Cabinet Hardware
Looking to give your kitchen a quick and easy makeover? Swapping out your cabinet hardware is a simple and affordable DIY project that can make a big impact. Start by selecting hardware that matches your existing decor or try something new for a fresh look.
To begin, remove the existing hardware from your cabinets and drawers. Use a screwdriver to remove any screws holding the hardware in place. If the screws are stubborn, try using a little WD-40 or lubricant to help loosen them.
Next, measure the distance between the screw holes on the hardware and mark the same measurements on the cabinet or drawer. Use a drill or screwdriver to attach the new hardware, making sure it’s secured tightly.
Don’t be afraid to get creative with your hardware choices – consider using knobs, pulls, or even unique handles for a more custom look. And if you’re feeling adventurous, mix and match hardware styles for a trendy eclectic vibe.
With just a little bit of time and effort, swapping out your cabinet hardware can transform your kitchen or bathroom in no time. Plus, you’ll have the satisfaction of completing a fun and easy DIY project.
Style Your Bookshelf
Bookshelves are a great way to add personality to any room in your home. But let’s be honest, organizing and styling them can be overwhelming! Follow these simple tips to take your bookshelf from cluttered to chic.
- Clear the Clutter: Before you start styling your bookshelf, clear out any items that don’t belong. This includes old magazines, paperwork, and anything that is not adding value to the space.
- Create Balance: Balance is key when it comes to styling a bookshelf. Use a mix of tall and short items to create visual interest and add texture. Add decorative objects such as vases, candles, or sculptures to break up rows of books.
- Play with Color: Use books and decorative objects in similar color palettes to create a cohesive look. You can also use color to add a pop of interest to your bookshelf. Use books with colorful spines or add a colorful decorative item to draw the eye.
- Stack Your Books: Stacking books can add height and create a dynamic look on your bookshelf. You can also stack books in different directions to add visual interest.
- Incorporate Plants: Plants add a touch of nature and freshness to any space. Consider adding a small potted plant or a vase of fresh flowers to your bookshelf.
Styling your bookshelf is all about creating a balance of visual interest and function. By following these tips, you’ll have a chic and organized bookshelf in no time!
Wallpaper the Back of Your Shelves
Looking for a simple way to elevate your shelves? Consider wallpapering the back of them! This easy DIY project adds a pop of color or pattern to any room and can be done in just a few hours. Here’s how to do it:
First, measure the back of your shelves and cut your wallpaper to fit. You may need to use a wallpaper cutter or scissors to get the right size. Next, use wallpaper adhesive to apply the wallpaper to the back of the shelf. Smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles with a wallpaper smoothing tool or a credit card.
Once the wallpaper is dry, you can start styling your shelves with your favorite decor items. This small but impactful change will add visual interest to your space and give your shelves a stylish new look.
If you’re feeling bold, try using a bold or patterned wallpaper to really make a statement. Alternatively, you could opt for a subtle textured wallpaper for a more understated look.
No matter what style you choose, wallpapering the back of your shelves is an easy way to add personality to your space without breaking the bank. Give it a try and see how much of a difference it can make!
Hang Art at Eye Level
One of the most common mistakes people make when hanging art is placing it too high on the wall. You want your artwork to be at eye level, so that you can fully appreciate and enjoy it. The general rule of thumb is that the center of the art piece should be 57-60 inches from the floor.
When it comes to hanging multiple pieces together, consider creating a gallery wall. This allows you to display multiple pieces of art in an aesthetically pleasing way. Use a mix of different sized frames and arrange them on the wall before hanging to ensure a cohesive look.
Don’t be afraid to mix and match art styles and mediums. Combining paintings, photographs, and prints can add visual interest and dimension to your walls.
Another tip for hanging art is to use a level to ensure everything is straight. No one wants a crooked picture frame on their wall. And lastly, make sure to use the appropriate hardware for the weight and size of your art piece. A heavy frame should be secured with a sturdy hook and nail, while a lighter piece can be hung with a picture hanging strip.
By hanging your art at eye level and creating a gallery wall, you can transform any room in your home into a beautiful, personalized space.
Use Colorful Throws and Pillows
Sometimes, all it takes is a pop of color to give your space a whole new feel. One of the easiest ways to add some color and personality to your room is by adding some bright, eye-catching throws and pillows.
If you have a neutral-colored sofa or bed, adding colorful throws and pillows is an excellent way to liven it up. Whether you prefer bold prints or solids, incorporating colors that contrast with your decor can instantly add interest and dimension to your space.
Consider using colors that complement or contrast with your wall paint, furniture, or artwork. If you’re feeling adventurous, mix and match patterns for a fun, eclectic look. Try pairing a colorful geometric print with a solid pillow in a similar hue.
For a cohesive look, consider incorporating colors from other elements in the room. For instance, if you have a green rug, consider adding green pillows to tie the space together. Additionally, using pillows with different textures, such as velvet or knits, can add depth and coziness to your decor.
So don’t be afraid to add some personality to your space with colorful throws and pillows. With so many options available, you’re sure to find the perfect ones to complement your decor and make your space feel cozy and inviting.
Paint Your Walls
Painting your walls is one of the easiest and most cost-effective ways to transform your home decor. It’s also a project that most people can tackle on their own. You don’t need to be a professional painter to get the job done, but it does require some planning and preparation.
First, decide on a color palette that you want to work with. This could be a bold accent color or a neutral tone that complements your existing furniture and decor. You can find inspiration on websites like Pinterest or Instagram, or consult with a design professional if you’re unsure.
Once you have your paint color, it’s time to prep the room. Remove any furniture from the space, and cover the floors and any remaining fixtures with plastic or drop cloths. Use painter’s tape to protect trim and other areas that you don’t want to get paint on.
Before you start painting, make sure you have all the necessary supplies on hand. This includes paint brushes, rollers, trays, and a ladder if necessary. When applying the paint, start at the top of the wall and work your way down in sections. Use even strokes and make sure the paint is applied evenly.
Depending on the color and type of paint you choose, you may need multiple coats. Make sure to let each coat dry completely before applying the next one. Once the final coat is dry, remove the tape and clean up any stray drips or splatters.
A freshly painted room can breathe new life into your home decor. And with the variety of paint colors and finishes available today, you can create a look that’s truly unique and personalized. So don’t be afraid to pick up a paintbrush and get to work!
Add a Rug
Adding a rug to your home decor can instantly transform the look and feel of a room. Whether you’re looking to add warmth, texture, or color to your space, a rug can do all of these things and more. Plus, they’re incredibly versatile and can work in just about any room of the house, from the living room to the bedroom.
When choosing a rug, consider the size of your room and the furniture placement. A rug that’s too small can make a room look disjointed, while a rug that’s too large can overwhelm the space. As a general rule of thumb, your rug should be large enough that all the furniture in the room can comfortably sit on it.
In terms of style, there are endless options to choose from. Whether you prefer a bold pattern or a more neutral color palette, there’s a rug out there that will suit your taste. Just be sure to choose a rug that complements the rest of your decor and ties the room together.
Finally, don’t be afraid to layer rugs for added texture and interest. This can work particularly well in spaces like the bedroom or living room where you want to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere. By layering different sizes and textures of rugs, you can add depth and dimension to your space and create a truly unique look.
So if you’re looking to spruce up your home decor, consider adding a rug to your space. With so many options available, you’re sure to find one that perfectly suits your style and budget.