The bathroom is often an overlooked room when it comes to decor and style. However, with a few key additions, you can transform your bathroom into a beautiful oasis of relaxation and luxury. Whether you’re looking to update your current bathroom or starting from scratch in a new home, we’ve rounded up 10 decor ideas that will elevate your space and create the bathroom of your dreams. From statement lighting to plush towels, read on for tips and inspiration to create your own bathroom bliss.
Please note: As Amazon Associates, we earn from qualifying purchases.
1) Go Bold with Color
Are you tired of the bland and boring look of your bathroom? It’s time to add some personality with a bold color choice. Whether you go for a deep navy blue, a bright pop of pink, or a sunny yellow, a bold color can make a big impact in a small space. Not sure where to start? Look for inspiration in your favorite artwork or a statement piece of decor, and pull out a color that speaks to you. Be brave and take the plunge – your bathroom will thank you for it! Just remember to balance the boldness with neutrals, like white or gray, to keep the space from feeling overwhelming.
2) Make a Statement with Wallpaper
Wallpaper has made a major comeback in recent years and is the perfect way to add some drama and personality to your bathroom. There are endless options available from bold graphic prints to delicate floral designs. One popular trend is to choose a large-scale pattern to create a focal point on one wall, such as behind the vanity or bathtub.
If you’re worried about humidity and moisture in the bathroom damaging your wallpaper, don’t be. Many manufacturers make wallpapers that are specifically designed for high humidity areas, and you can also opt for a vinyl wallpaper that is moisture-resistant. Just be sure to properly prepare the surface before installation and consult with a professional if you’re not experienced with wallpapering.
When selecting your wallpaper, consider the color scheme and style of your bathroom. If you have a lot of natural light, you can go for bold and bright colors, while darker or smaller spaces may benefit from lighter colors and patterns. For a more eclectic look, you can mix and match different patterns and colors, but be sure to stick to a cohesive theme to avoid creating a chaotic atmosphere.
Wallpaper can truly transform a bathroom from a functional space to a work of art. So don’t be afraid to make a statement with your wallpaper choice and create a stunning feature wall that reflects your personal style.
3) Add Glamour with Metallic Accents
If you’re looking to add some sparkle and shine to your bathroom, incorporating metallic accents is the way to go. Metallic finishes, such as gold, silver, or bronze, can add a touch of glamor and luxury to any space.
Start small with metallic accessories, like a gold soap dispenser or silver towel ring, to add a subtle pop of shine. For a bolder statement, consider a metallic backsplash or accent wall. You can also swap out traditional hardware, such as drawer pulls and faucet handles, for metallic options.
Light fixtures are another great way to incorporate metallic finishes into your bathroom. A pendant light with a shiny chrome finish can add a modern touch, while a chandelier with crystal accents can add a touch of glamor.
When it comes to incorporating metallic accents, it’s important to strike a balance. Too much metallic can overwhelm the space, so try to limit it to one or two key pieces. And don’t forget to coordinate with other finishes in the space, like your faucet or hardware, to create a cohesive look.
By incorporating metallic accents into your bathroom decor, you can elevate the space and add a touch of charm and luxury. Whether you opt for a small accessory or a bold statement piece, a little bit of shine can go a long way.
4) Create Visual Interest with Texture
Adding texture to your bathroom decor can add depth and interest to the space. Textured elements like woven baskets, plush bath mats, and fluffy towels can create a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Here are some ways to incorporate texture into your bathroom:
- Use Natural Materials: Stone, wood, and natural fibers like jute and bamboo are great for creating texture. Consider adding a stone vessel sink or wooden vanity to your bathroom to bring in natural texture.
- Mix Textures: Mix and match textures to create a layered look. Consider pairing a smooth porcelain sink with a woven wicker basket or a fluffy bath rug.
- Add Textured Walls: Textured wallpaper or a tile backsplash can create an interesting focal point in your bathroom. Try adding a patterned tile to the wall behind your vanity for a pop of texture.
- Invest in Textured Accessories: Textured accessories like soap dispensers, toothbrush holders, and tissue box covers can add interest to your countertop. Look for options in materials like hammered metal, ceramic with a raised pattern, or woven wicker.
Incorporating texture into your bathroom decor is an easy and effective way to elevate the space and create a luxurious atmosphere. Experiment with different textures to find what works best for you and your style.
5) Layer Lights for a Spa-Like Atmosphere
One of the easiest ways to create a spa-like atmosphere in your bathroom is through lighting. Layering lights can make all the difference when it comes to creating a soothing and relaxing environment. Here are a few lighting ideas to consider:
- Install dimmer switches – This will allow you to adjust the brightness of your lights, making it easy to set the mood for a long bath or a quick shower.
- Consider pendant lights – These lights can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your bathroom. Hang them above your vanity or bathtub for an instant upgrade.
- Use recessed lighting – Recessed lighting is a great way to add ambient light without taking up any visual space in your bathroom. Consider adding them around the perimeter of your ceiling for a soft glow.
- Incorporate LED strip lights – These lights are perfect for highlighting certain areas of your bathroom, such as the mirror or a decorative feature.
By layering your lights, you can create a relaxing atmosphere that feels just like a spa. Plus, having a variety of lighting options will give you the flexibility to choose the right lighting for your needs and preferences.
6) Incorporate Nature
One way to transform your bathroom into a serene and peaceful oasis is to bring nature inside. Incorporating natural elements can create a calming and tranquil atmosphere that will help you relax and unwind after a long day.
Start by adding plants to your bathroom. There are many types of plants that thrive in a bathroom environment due to the humidity. For example, bamboo, ferns, and spider plants are great choices that add a touch of greenery and purify the air.
Another way to incorporate nature is by using natural materials. Choose wooden or stone accessories, such as a wooden soap dish or a stone sink. These materials can add warmth and texture to your space, and they also have a natural beauty that is hard to replicate with synthetic materials.
Consider adding a water feature to your bathroom, such as a small indoor fountain or a water wall. These features can create a calming and peaceful environment, and the sound of trickling water can help to reduce stress.
Finally, don’t forget about natural lighting. If possible, add a window to your bathroom to let in natural light. You can also add a skylight or install a solar tube to bring natural light into a windowless bathroom.
Incorporating nature into your bathroom decor can create a harmonious and soothing environment that will help you relax and rejuvenate. Whether you add plants, natural materials, or a water feature, these simple additions can elevate your bathroom to a whole new level of serenity and tranquility.
7) Opt for High-Quality Materials
When it comes to transforming your bathroom, the quality of the materials you choose can make all the difference. Not only will high-quality materials last longer, but they also tend to have a more luxurious feel. Here are a few materials to consider:
- Stone: Whether it’s marble, granite, or another type of stone, incorporating it into your bathroom can add an elegant and timeless touch. Stone also has the benefit of being highly durable and easy to clean.
- Brass or Chrome: These metals can bring a touch of sophistication to your bathroom fixtures. Opting for high-quality finishes will ensure that they maintain their shine for years to come.
- Glass: Glass shower enclosures and sinks can give your bathroom a modern and sleek feel. Additionally, high-quality tempered glass is more resistant to damage and breakage.
- Natural Wood: If you’re looking to add warmth and texture to your bathroom, consider using natural wood accents. High-quality woods, such as teak, are resistant to water damage and will age beautifully over time.
Investing in high-quality materials can elevate your bathroom to a whole new level of luxury. Just be sure to choose materials that are not only beautiful but also functional and able to withstand the rigors of daily use.
8) Think Outside the Shower Curtain
When it comes to decorating your bathroom, it’s easy to focus on the essentials: the sink, the toilet, and of course, the shower. But there’s one element that often gets overlooked: the shower curtain. While it’s certainly an important part of any bathroom, it’s not the only way to make a statement. Here are a few ideas for thinking outside the shower curtain and creating a more unique, personalized look for your bathroom.
Glass Doors: If you’re in the market for a shower upgrade, consider swapping out your old curtain for a sleek, modern glass door. Not only will it instantly elevate the look of your bathroom, but it will also give you a more open, airy feel.
Window Treatments: If you’re lucky enough to have a window in your bathroom, don’t leave it bare! Consider adding some simple, stylish curtains or blinds for privacy and style. Plus, they’ll add a touch of warmth and coziness to the space.
Artwork: Who says your bathroom walls have to be bare? Hang a few pieces of artwork above the sink or toilet to add some personality and interest to the space. Whether you opt for colorful abstract prints or calming nature scenes, the right artwork can really transform the look and feel of your bathroom.
Plants: Plants are a great way to add some life and energy to your bathroom. Choose a few low-maintenance plants like succulents or ferns to add some greenery to the space. Plus, they’ll help purify the air and create a more peaceful, spa-like atmosphere.
Rugs: A colorful or patterned rug can be just the thing to tie your bathroom together. Look for a style that complements your existing decor, and make sure it’s durable enough to stand up to the moisture and foot traffic in the space.
With a little creativity and a few simple changes, you can transform your bathroom into a stylish, welcoming space that you’ll love spending time in. So why not think outside the shower curtain and give your bathroom the attention it deserves?
9) Storage Should be both Functional AND Fabulous
Storage is a crucial aspect of any bathroom. Without proper storage, your bathroom can quickly become cluttered and disorganized. However, storage doesn’t have to be boring or unsightly. It can be both functional and fabulous!
First, assess your storage needs. Do you need more shelf space? Are you lacking in drawer storage? Once you have determined your needs, start shopping for storage solutions that meet those needs while also fitting with your overall bathroom decor.
Consider incorporating open shelving into your bathroom design. This type of storage is perfect for displaying decorative items and frequently used toiletries. Keep in mind that the items you choose to display should be both visually appealing and practical.
If you’re in need of more concealed storage, consider installing cabinets or drawers. Make sure to choose high-quality materials that are moisture-resistant, as bathrooms are known for being damp environments.
When it comes to storage, it’s important to remember that functionality should come first. You want to make sure your storage solutions can hold all of your bathroom essentials, including towels, toiletries, and cleaning supplies. However, you can still have fun with your storage choices by choosing pieces with unique hardware or an interesting finish.
Finally, don’t forget to add some finishing touches to your storage solutions. Consider adding decorative knobs or pulls to your cabinet doors and drawers. This is an easy way to add a pop of color or personality to your bathroom.
Overall, when it comes to bathroom storage, there’s no need to sacrifice function for style. With a little bit of creativity and thoughtful planning, you can have both functional and fabulous storage solutions in your bathroom.
10) Don’t forget the Finishing Touches!
When it comes to bathroom decor, it’s often the small details that can make the biggest impact. Don’t neglect the finishing touches when designing your dream bathroom oasis. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Invest in Luxurious Linens: Upgrade your towels and bath mats to plush, high-quality options that feel like a treat every time you step out of the shower.
- Display Art: Bring some personality to your space with a statement piece of artwork. Opt for pieces that are water-resistant and hang them away from the direct path of your showerhead.
- Add Some Greenery: Indoor plants can help purify the air in your bathroom and add some natural color and texture. Consider low-maintenance options like succulents or air plants.
- Introduce Scent: Make your bathroom experience more enjoyable by adding candles or diffusers with your favorite scent. Just be sure to keep them away from any flammable materials.
- Upgrade Your Hardware: Swap out basic drawer pulls and towel bars for more stylish options that add some character to your space.
- Get Creative with Storage: Consider using unexpected items like vintage baskets or decorative trays to keep your everyday essentials organized and easily accessible.
Remember, the key to successful bathroom decor is to make it feel like an extension of your personal style and aesthetic. So don’t be afraid to get creative and add those finishing touches that truly make the space feel like your own.